RTSP Rail Enhancement Strategy: Interline Connections and Station Improvements
The purpose of this strategy is to allow different rail lines to operate on the same track. This type of operation can help reduce capacity constraint on some lines and provide new connections between existing Metrorail lines.
Some benefits of these interline connections include:
- Orange/Silver-Blue inter-lining south of Rosslyn to allow a Silver Line running between the two airports
- BENEFIT: Faster trip to Ballston, Tysons and airports within Virginia
- Blue-Yellow inter-lining north of Pentagon to allow I-66 corridor rail lines going through 14th Street Bridge
- BENEFIT: Utilize throughput capacity on 14th Street Bridge
- Yellow-Green inter-lining south of L’Enfant Plaza to allow a Yellow Line split to Anacostia/Navy Yard
- BENEFIT: Allow direct access between Anacostia and southern Maryland to job sites in southern Arlington and the City of Alexandria.
Additionally, this strategy will explore the benefits of making improvements to several of the system’s core stations:
- Pedestrian tunnel between Farragut North and Farragut West;
- Pedestrian tunnel between Metro Center and Gallery Place;
- Increase amount of vertical capacity at Union Station;
- Increase transfer capacity at the three core transfer stations: Metro Center, Gallery Place and L’Enfant Plaza