Data Download: Metrobus Vehicle Location Data
Here’s your chance to analyze and visualize the movements of the Metrobus fleet.
In anticipation of the upcoming Metro Hack Night, Metrobus planning staff has generated an automated vehicle location (AVL) systems data set. The data set, for five days in October, shows the time that each Metrobus was at each stop over the course of the day, the buses’ dwell time, and a comparison of actual stop time to scheduled stop time.
What can be done with this kind of data? Here are a few ideas:
- Look at how the running times for routes varies across the day
- Calculate vehicle speeds across the region
- Dive deep into on-time performance
- See how dwell times affect running times, speeds, and on-time performance
- Map the movements of Metrobus vehicles over time
- Get a better understanding of Metrobus operations, including how vehicles are interlined among routes and the number of different variations of some routes
Come on techies! Dive in and find new and inspirational ways to look at this data.
Please post links to your work in the comments!
Metrobus_AVL_Oct_2016.zip (319 MB zip file)
And some brief documentation:
Metrobus AVL Data Dictionary(.docx, 13 KB)