A Bus Named Desire was the question of the day at Metro Planning staff’s StreetsCamp session last Saturday. We asked what participants thought would make a better bus – from any perspective. What are the things that transit agencies and local jurisdictions could do speed up buses, increase the level of comfort for potential riders to ride the bus, change service, etc.
Here’s what we heard, grouped by topic:
- Bus lanes, bus lanes, bus lanes (WMATA note – there are some great corridors for these. Please also let your city/county know you think they are important. They own and operate the streets!)
- Bus routes that offer better connections to destinations far from Metro stations
- Take station relocation and system redesign seriously. Build partnerships with community organizations. (WMATA note – both a regional approach, as well as line by line, are underway!)
- Consolidate stops on every line to save time and money. Buses don’t need to stop every block.
- More frequent off-peak service
- Add express service from Maryland suburbs